Thursday, August 17, 2006

100 Random Things About Me

Trying to think of a hundred interesting things about me was harder than I expected. I'm sure there are tons of things no one really wants to know, so I'll just keep those to myself. I have tried not to repeat the things I've already mentioned in previous memes. To those of you who were looking forward to this, I hope you're not too disappointed. Well, let's get on with it, shall we?

1. I am abundantly blessed. Haven't counted lately, though. Have you?

2. I adore my husband. I think he's cool. I also think he's hot.

3. I love to harmonize. I'm an alto. I was a soloist in my previous church.

4. I was in choir at church and school in 7th through 12th grade. I sang 2nd soprano.

5. I'm an aunt to 24 nieces and nephews.

6. I'm the 2nd of 4 children, 3 girls and 1 boy.

7. I was a middle child for 7 years.

8. I was my mom's biggest baby at 7lbs 9oz. I'm the smallest now.

9. I was bald until I was 2 years old. My hair came in curly. The curl relaxed considerably after the birth of my children.

10. I was born again when I was 14 years old.

11. I was raised Southern Baptist.

12. I do not consider myself Southern Baptist, although I'm not sure exactly which label fits.

13. I don't know why I feel a need to have a label.

14. I am not allergic to exercise. I used to be in excellent shape.

15. I'm built like an athlete. If athletes were, you know, short and dumpy.

16. I'm not very athletic.

17. I can swim, but I cannot dive. Nor can I water ski.

18. I have never tried snow skiing.

19. I was on the Bozo show in 1st grade. Clowns do not scare me.

20. I have never had a broken bone.

21. I have been to California 3 times in my life. Once when I was 7, once at 11, and again in March of this year.

22. Chocolate cheesecake is my absolute favorite dessert.

23. I am dependable.

24. I am a dork.

25. I can't dance, but I do anyway.

26. I prefer daisies to roses.

27. My favorite food is cheese enchiladas.

28. I am very easy-going. It takes a lot to get me riled.

29. I am empathetic. Other people's pain bothers me more than my own.

30. I have few close friends. I'm not good at keeping in touch.

31. I have green eyes.

32. Green is one of my favorite colors.

33. I'm not a girlie girl.

34. I do not like hard candy, except peppermints.

35. I don't like hospitals.

36. My kids don't understand my sense of humor.

37. I hate to take medicine.

38. I had my first alcoholic beverage on my 21st birthday. One is my limit. I do not drink beer.

39. I tried smoking when I was 11. I started smoking at 21.

40. I tried my first joint with my first husband.

41. He also introduced me to cocaine.

42. Until then, I had never ever put any foreign objects into my nose.

43. I have never kept a journal.

44. I can keep a secret, but I don't keep anything from my husband.

45. I did not go to kindergarten. It wasn't required back then.

46. I love to laugh.

47. I look a lot like my mom.

48. I'm late everywhere I go.

49. I do not believe in luck.

50. I can read music.

51. I took mandolin lessons in 5th grade.

52. I still have that mandolin, which is warped from years of storage.

53. My husband bought me a new mandolin, but I can't play it either. He can.

54. I have never had braces.

55. I have never had lice.

56. I have never had my nails done professionally.

57. I took piano lessons in 5th grade. I can only play with my right hand. I can pick out a melody by ear.

58. I'm quirky.

59. I am quiet.

60. I was painfully shy as a child. I'm still not terribly outgoing.

61. Red is another of my favorite colors.

62. I do not understand road rage.

63. I am very soft-spoken. I usually have to repeat myself. I SAID I usually have to repeat myself.

64. I taught myself to sew, and I have made quite a few dresses for myself and my girls.

65. I taught myself to quilt.

66. I rarely watch television. I'm the only one in the family who can walk into a room without turning on the TV.

67. When I was little, my mom dressed me and my younger sister alike. Everyone thought we were twins.

68. I prefer homemade tacos to restaurant tacos.

69. I have varicose veins.

70. I do not have stretch marks.

71. In second grade, Kitty and I painted each other's pants with watercolors. Mine were hot pink double-knit polyester high-waters. I was some kinda cool.

72. I stayed in at recess because Keith and Delbert liked me and would chase me. I didn't like boys. Mrs. Johnson was my teacher.

73. I aced all my tests in school until my senior year.

74. I was popular with the jocks because I'd let them see my answers.

75. Mr. Loibner, my 8th grade science teacher, always wrote my test score on the chalkboard. (Highest in class.)

76. I got bonus points on one of his tests because I spelled out "deoxyribonucleic acid" when everyone else just wrote "DNA". I was NOT trying to show off.

77. I got a C in Calculus.

78. I got my first F in 11th grade English when I didn't turn in my research paper.

79. I hated math until 7th grade.

80. I was in the National Junior Honor Society in 8th and 9th grades.

81. I was in the National Honor Society in 10th and 11th grades.

82. I did not graduate with honors, but I did score high enough on the ACT to merit a scholarship to the University of Central Arkansas.

83. I was going to be a Speech Pathologist, but I didn't finish college.

84. I lost my scholarship with a 3.75 grade average because I didn't have enough hours.

85. I have never taken the SAT.

86. My first husband was the first person who ever said I was beautiful.

87. That's one of the reasons I married him.

88. My sisters and I were in a family "band" when we were younger. We played (poorly) for my dad's Optimist Club meetings.

89. I'm a grandma. My ex's 28-year-old daughter has a little boy. He's 18 months old.

90. I worked at the Little Rock Post Office for 7 years.

91. I know almost every ZIP code, or at least the first 3 digits, for the state of Arkansas.

92. I was in a puppet ministry in junior high.

93. I love to be wined and dined. Burgered and fried is OK, too.

94. I have had only one speeding ticket in my life.

95. I was the financial secretary of my church for 5 years and served as church clerk for 6.

96. I taught a junior high girls Sunday school class for 3 years.

97. I taught 5th grade Sunday school for one year.

98. I fell in love for the first time in my life when my first child was born.

99. The job I have now is the first job I've ever had where I have not been subjected to sexual harrassment.

100. When I was a kid, I paired my crayons by "gender". Dark colors were male and light colors were female.

Yes, I know, it couldn't have been more random, but there it is.

22 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

12, 17,18, 20, 23,24, 25, 45, 46, 49, 54 and praise the lord 55 we share. likely more but that was enough to count through. I'm not quiet, not soft spoken, not short, but the others count enough to make up for minor differences.

fun, fun post. I love coming to visit, and this one was a real treat. Youre as honest as the day is long - a great trait in my book.

Kelli said...

100 more reasons that I just adore you. And, I play piano ... I'll take left- you take right. You take alto, I'll take 2nd Soprano. Ok? Let's make a date!

Brenda said...

Sounds great!

Lori said...

I love it!!! I too perfer daisys to roses..... great list.

Paulette said...

Hello my dear friend. This was so awesome. I love knowing more about you. I related with several of your answers but Ill wait and let you see when I do my 100th!!
You did a great job, I loved it.
I hope you are doing ok, I pray for you daily, my friend.
be blessed!!

Grafted Branch said...

Yeah! I love 100 thing posts. I liked the early ones that boasted of your athletic prowess. ;) I'm with you there!

I'm an alto too. And my mom worked (still does) for the post office. I can remember her memorizing schemes for most of my childhood.

I'm glad to see this...finally! Two days between posts? Unheard of!

Barb said...

So there it is. I read this three times because I.could.not.believe.it.

We said this to each other almost five months ago. Somehow we're sisters separatd at birth. Now I know it for sure.

I'm just sitting here amazed at the things we have in common. My best guess would be, say, 95 out of these 100. I'm not going to give you number by number proof.

I'm truly amazed, Brenda. I didn't learn anything new about you. Somehow, I already knew it. xoxoxo

Diane@Diane's Place said...

We have a lot in common, Brenda, and our differences just keep things interesting. I love that you're real, girl, just like me. :-)

BTW, I have blogrolling, that is how I get notified when someone on my blogroll has a new post. I see that you have it, too. Log in to your account and look for how to set up your notifier. If you need help, email me. I'll see what I can do. Not that I'm a techie-geek, or anything like that, Lawsie mercy, NO!! LOL ;D

Barb said...

You should have done 101. I swear, in all 99 of your previous posts, I have not seen one single typo.

Brenda said...

LOL! I'm OCD like that.

Grafted Branch said...

Ha ha! I never find my typos until after I've published, and so then I fix them (one at a time) and wonder if I show up on people's bloglines as having a half-dozen new posts?

Brenda said...

GB - yes, you do! LOL! I've done that myself.

Dawn said...

This was fun - I have lots of things I could respond to, but need to get to the library with the little girls. I'll write more later. Wish we could get together and talk!

I wonder how long it will take me to get to 100. I'll have to see if I can figure that out and project a possible timeline.

Kristen said...

I have to say that this is one of the greatest "100 things about me" posts I've ever read. Informative and funny! I feel like I know you a lot better. I bet you're a fun person to know!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Well, now, looky there! I see you got your notifier for your blogroll figured out without needing my geekery after all, LOL. ;D Good for you, Brenda! :-)

Grafted Branch said...

Oh NO! Really?! I was hoping I was wrong! I don't have Bloglines, so I just had no idea. I'll try to be more attentive, 'cause I guess it DOES matter. I am LOL!

Cheryl said...

You may have had trouble finding 100 things to say, but I was sorry it went by so fast. Enjoyed it.
Oh my, I never thought of re-posting showing up multiple times on someone's blogroll.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post. I definitely know you better and found many things we have in common.

Tammy said...

Wow...so many incredible things! It was fun getting to know you better!

We have a few things in common...like being shy growing up and being soft-spoken...
And I think I did that crayon thing too! :D

Shawna said...

Incredible list! Isn't it odd how so many different things make up our lives? You've lived a very interesting one. It's great to get to know you better.

Overwhelmed! said...

So this is your 100th post? Very nice! I do love those that do the list of 100 things, even though I haven't done it yet myself. :)

Thanks for participating in my Hooray for 100 link exchange! Please help spread the word to others. :)

Blogger profile name said...

We really do have a lot in common, except I have lots of stretch marks, like a road map from Arkansas to Georgia and back.