Sunday, December 03, 2006

Holiday Meme



1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate. With or without marshmallows. My grandma (dad's mom) made the best hot cocoa ever.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? That Santa is so unpredictable. Sometimes he wraps, but usually he doesn't.

3. Colored lights or white? I prefer white, but since my beloved does the honors, we always have colored lights. We don't do lights on the house.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? If we have some we do, but it isn't necessary.

5. When do you decorate for Christmas? After we buy the tree. Usually a couple of weeks before Christmas. Never ever ever before December. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish, excluding dessert? I'm gonna say fruitcake. Since no one really likes it, it can't be considered dessert, can it? Really, it has to be chicken and dressing.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? The gifts we got every year from my great grandmother. We always got the same thing, all 3 of us girls, so we would open our presents all at once, knowing we'd have to hold them up and show them. Know what they were? Big ol' honkin' granny panties! Yeah, we hated it at the time, but looking back, it was the most hilarious thing ever. We were never able to wear them.

8. When and how, did you learn the truth about Santa? I was 9 or 10. One year in June, I decided to test a theory I had that Santa wasn't always watchin'. I wrote a letter and hid it inside the piano bench. He never found it. Why June? I didn't want to ruin Christmas. DUH!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? The kids get to open at least one. Sometimes they persuade us to let them open all of them.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Haphazardly. I always start out trying to be organized, but I always let the kids help. I do a little bit of rearranging afterwards, just to give it some balance. I like to have Mannheim Steamroller playing in the background while we decorate.

11. Snow. Love it or hate it? Love the real stuff. Hate the fake stuff.

12. Can you ice skate? As a native Arkansan, I have to say that depends on your definition of skate. If you mean glide gracefully across the ice, then no. If, on the other hand, you mean flail my arms wildly while stumbling without actually falling down, then I'm your girl.

13. Do you remember your favorite Christmas gift? Sarah was born 5 days before Christmas 1991.

14. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you? Remembering the Reason for the season and being with family.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Cherry cheesecake.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Gee, the only thing we've ever done consistently is wrap presents on Christmas eve. No wait. Stuffing stockings after the kids have gone to bed. That's fun. Gathering around the TV to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" is a must. The best thing, though, and this should probably be up there with favorite childhood memory, is getting up early on Christmas morning to see what Santa brought, then going to Grandmother's (mom's mom) to watch Macy's Christmas Parade.

17. What tops your tree? A bow, I think. Or a blinking star. Whichever one we can get to stay up there.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? "...remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " Jesus said it, and I believe it. But even if He hadn't, I think I would rather give.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? I love them all. The Little Drummer Boy is my all time favorite. Close behind, and in no particular order are Do You Hear What I Hear, O Holy Night, and What Child Is This.

20. Candy canes. Yuck or yum? Yum. And it's fun to suck the end to a fine point then poke your sister with it. Or so I hear. :o)

11 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Fun, fun, fun, Brenda! I'm glad you did this one. :-)

Happy Sunday, and enjoy your lunch wherever you eat. We're having fried baloney sandwiches. ;D

Barb said...

I'm glad you did this one, too, Brenda. But what's this you're saying about fruitcake? I love fruitcake. And I cracked up over your grandmother's gifts to you girls. What was she thinking?

I did the same thing with candy canes. The best thing about them is seeing how fine a point you can get on them.

This was great. (You and I should go ice skating together some time :-)

Dawn said...

Great tree at the top! I thought for sure I was the last one to do this meme! Good fun.

Brenda said...

Oops. I've obviously got my holidays confused. Macy's parade is on Thanksgiving day, but we did watch it at my grandmother's every year. I swear I remember also watching a parade on Christmas day. Maybe not.

Tammy said...

Loved your answers, Brenda! :D

Too funny about your giant underware from Great-grandma! LOL

Jada said...

I enjoyed reading this post! My birthday is December 20th, but not in 1991! LOL And my Mom's name is Brenda!

Thanks for writing! I enjoy your blog!

Merry Christmas!

~Jada

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

We can ice skate together anytime.

And, Little Drummer Boy is my favorite, too. It was my Papa's favorite and now he is gone. When I hear it now, it makes me cry. But a good cry, not an ugly cry. :>)

Blogger profile name said...

I love #7 - that's what memories are all about!

I'm with Melanie - Little Drummer Boy makes me cry, especially this year. My mother really loved it.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Absolutely I would expect you to find a way to make this funny. The poking your sister with the candy cane - funny if youre the one doing the poking, not so much if youre the pokee...

TJ said...

I loved all of your answers to this meme...big ol' honkin' granny panties...lol...we had a great~aunt that always gave us girls those or socks...sigh...I'm the oldest of 4 gals...
I just dropped by from Restoring the years to say Hi and congratulations on your award!!
:-D
Say if you like It's a Wonderful Life...you should come by my blog for a wee visit....

Barb said...

Come out, come out, where ever you are!

A week? I think not, young lady.

xoxoxo