Thursday, May 18, 2006

Answers to Some of Life's Tough Questions

Ever wonder why when you're a kid, it seems like forever from one Christmas to the next, but when you get older they come around too soon (like, before you've paid off the last one)? Because to a four year old, 12 months is one quarter of her life. To a forty year old it's 1/40th. It used to seem like a lifetime because it almost was! The same rule applies to birthdays and other special occasions. (I had this one figured out a long time ago. Shortly after I started dreading Christmas.)

Why does it always rain right after you wash your car? Because you washed it right before it rained. If it really bothers you, do what my mom does - wash your car in the rain. (Saves water.)

Why do we get so impatient waiting in line at the store? I have no idea on this one, folks. The longer the line, the longer I get to keep my money.

Why are teenagers impossible? I'm convinced that it's to prepare us moms for their leaving home. If they stayed sweet and precious all their lives, we'd be wishing they'd never grow up. We invest large portions of our lives in nurturing, teaching, comforting, protecting, and guiding them, and that becomes our identity. We'll always be mom, and they'll always need us, but it's our duty to prepare them for the day they leave the nest. Hopefully, we'll have taught them to be independent, to make wise decisions, to love God above all else, to care for others, and to be happy with themselves. Hopefully, we'll have done our job so well that when they're ready try out their wings, they'll reach greater heights than we had imagined. Hopefully, when that time comes, we'll also be ready to watch them soar. But just in case, they enter that stage that makes us wish abortion after the 64th trimester were legal. And by the time they're through with us, we're looking forward to missing them.

8 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Brenda,
I can so relate to this, as my one chick is graduating Friday night from high school, and going on to college in August. I really do think that the fussing and arguing over what's best for them is part of the process of weaning yourself away from each other. For us Moms, it's giving up our job of making the decisions for them, and for them, it's becoming their own master and having to live with their decisions for themselves, good or bad. Mom and child struggle back and forth for a while with who's making the decisions. We just have to let go, and pray that we've prepared them to the best of our ability, and that we've trained them up in the way they should go, so that when they are old, they'll not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6
Besides, as long as they get hungry and have dirty clothes, they'll be back occasionally. :-)

Girl Raised in the South said...

Great post - when you say it I'm right there with you. I wonder the same things. After my brother, Jerry died, I consciously decided to slow down, not hurry over stupid things. That includes grocery lines and driving. So good for you - I highly recommend it.

And teenagers - I do think God lets them get a bit obnoxious or we'd never let them go. Mother birds could teach us a thing about clearing out the nest.

Brenda said...

So true. Today was Lindsey's last day of school, and she'll be going to Arkansas for the summer. She's doing her best to "prepare" me for it!
I wish your daughter the best. I know you're proud of her and very blessed to have such a great relationship with her. Cruisin' with her and her boyfriend? Way cool!

Brenda said...

Bev, I didn't see you there when I posted, but you are also blessed to have a great relationship with your kids. My day is coming, I'm sure, but for now I'm up to my ears in teenagers. God help us all. :)

Barb said...

Hi Brenda,

First of all let me tell you I think your mother is brilliant. Wash the car in the rain. Saves even more water if you consider it your bath too.

I honestly believe teenagers, all of them, become unbearable just before they're about to fly away. You still miss them like crazy but it makes it just a touch easier to let them go. When they revert back to being bearable human beings again, it's a joy to have them around again. (Most of the time.)

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Brenda,
I know you'll miss your baby, but she's old enough to see the difference in her Dad's motives for her and yours for her. This may be just what both girls need to open their eyes that you truly love them and want the best for them. If you can, while you're missing them and worrying over them while they're away from you, use this time to bathe them in prayer and enjoy this time with your hubby. A strong marriage relationship is one of the most meaningful things you can give your children, and yourself and hubby.

I love Isaiah 40:31.....
"They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles; They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint,"

Wait and trust on Him...I didn't say it was easy, but sometimes that's all we can do.

Thank you for your kind words for Jessica. Our relationship wasn't always the best, either, but I think we've both grown up a lot. :-)

boomama said...

Here is yet another reason why I'm weird. I actually don't mind waiting in line in the grocery store.
And I love love love reading these comments - I am in the presence of great wisdom between you, Diane, Bev and Barb. No kidding.

Brenda said...

Diane, that is also my favorite verse. I learned it as a song in high school, and I sing it all the time.

I am looking forward to the time alone with my husband. You know, it isn't as hard without both girls as it is without one of them. It breaks my heart that they aren't together experiencing all the good and bad that siblings share. They have no idea what they're missing!

I've certainly learned the meaning of pray without ceasing. Which, no doubt, is all part of God's amazing plan.

Barb, my mom will be glad to hear that. Every time my child makes me crazy, I call my mom and apologize. She always said I'd get payback!

BooMama, I just love you to pieces!