Thursday, May 18, 2006

Tagged! Time Management 101

I have been tagged by Mandy to offer tips on time management. I may be more clueless than anyone in this department as I have absolutely no time management skills. I was probably born late, I'm late everywhere I go, and I'll be late to my own funeral. (pun intended)

If I could save time in a bottle . . . I'd inadvertently misplace it or someone would knock it over and break it, then I'd have another mess to clean up - which I might get around to . . . eventually.

I'm a world-class procrastinationist. I do not own a calendar. I suck at making lists - ok, a wish list I can do, but a grocery list or a to do list? Fuhgeddaboudit.
On 2nd thought, even my wish list is pathetic. Oh, and those preprinted lists? Useless. I simply am not organized enough.

You're wondering how I function at all, aren't you? The answer might surprise you.

KISS = Keep It Simple, Sister

I do like to have a place for everything, and I'll designate an area for "stuff", but whether said "stuff" makes it to its proper place is pretty much irrelevant. Not worth fighting over, in other words.

This is not a natural born trait. My mom liked things done a certain way - and if I didn't do it that way, she'd go behind me and redo it. Do you know how much extra work that is? She always said "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." (Granted, she needs consistency and order to prevent distress, and I totally get that now, but I had no clue then.) We were a quarrelsome bunch.

My sisters are not laid back. They delegate and authoritate (sometimes rather loudly), and their kids do what they're told, how they're told, when they're told. Yes, the kids are very well-behaved (much better than mine), but their moms are STRESSED OUT. It works for them, I guess, but it doesn't work for me.

My first husband had to have things done HIS way. It wasn't enough that I ironed, I had to do it like HE learned in the military (not the creases, mind you, the stupid procedure). He yelled and criticized a lot. Very quarrelsome.

It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.
Proverbs 21:9 is my verse to live by. If what it takes to get and keep my house organized is ranting and raving, then I'll take that corner of the roof, thank you very much.

My advice? Decide what's most important and do that first.
Don't sweat the small stuff!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Brenda, thanks for responding to my tag! I wasn't even sure if I was doing it right! I like what you said: figure out what is most important and do that first. That is a way better tip than you even know. I have a tendency to look at the big picture, freak out, and not do anything. Or I will do a little of everything, and all of nothing. You have reminded me that in some situations it is better to look at the smaller parts of the big picture, and take them one at a time.

Thanks! Not only have you changed my crazy perspective, but you have made me feel much better - I am not the only one who can't seem to beat the race against time. I loved your comment about time in a bottle. Very clever.

By the way - is procrastinationist a word? I thought procrastinator was, but then again I am only in third grade, so what do I know? ;-)

Barb said...

Brenda, I really like your attitude. What a great time management skill, not WASTING time on the unimportant stuff. I may copy this and put in on my fridge. That's how impressed I am with this answer 'cause I don't put stuff on my fridge.

Mandy, procrastinationist sounds like it's a word so if it's not it should be so let's just say it is. It gets the message across!

xoxoxo

boomama said...

Amen. I'm working on my time management thing, too, and I do have a few routines what with the toddler and all, but I promised myself when I got married that I would not be a nag, that I would not add to my husband's stress (at least in the area of chores). So there's definitely some stuff that I let go around here - and we are none the worse for it.

Brenda said...

LOL - I made it up, I think. Sounds much more sophisticated than procrastinator, don't you think? Anyway, I am a pro. :)

I do that too, Mandy. I look around at this big ol' mess and it's overwhelming. I also do a little of everything, and all of nothing. You know how frustrating that is. It's just a lot easier to focus on one thing at a time.

Wow, Barb, I'm honored. My mom doesn't even put my stuff on her fridge anymore cause there's so many grandkids. xoxoxo

BooMama, I'm choosing peaceful over spotless every time.

Sarah said...

Brenda, I loved this post! I'm with you--I choose peaceful over clean. (Except that lately, I haven't gotten either one.) And I DO put things on my fridge (not very many, but that's besides the point), so I'll be putting this one there. My husband will love it; it's easier on him than a Honey Do List!