Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Some Gave All: A Tribute*

Corporal Bobby R. West
Hometown: Beebe, Arkansas, U.S.

Age: 23 years old

Died: May 30, 2006 in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Unit: Army, 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood, Tex.

It is my privilege to honor the memory of Bobby Russell West, a young man who loved God, his family, and his country. He left high school at 17 to join the National Guard, following in the footsteps of his grandfather, his father, and his older brother. After the terrorist attacks on 9/11, he and his brother decided they needed to do more and enlisted in the Army. During his first tour he was a part of the operation that captured Saddam Hussein. His second tour of duty ended on May 30, 2006 when a makeshift bomb detonated during dismounted patrol operations in Baghdad, killing him instantly and severely wounding many of his comrades. He paid the ultimate price to protect the freedoms we all hold dear. On that day, America lost a great soldier, a soldier lost his only brother, and a mother lost her youngest son. I grieve with his family for their loss and pray God's blessings upon them for all they have given for the cause of freedom. Bobby's courage will not be forgotten, and I am eternally grateful to him and his family for their great sacrifice.

*Visit Some Gave All for your opportunity to pay tribute to a fallen hero.

5 comments:

boomama said...

What a wonderful tribute to his memory. And may God bless and comfort his family. Very, very touching.

Paulette said...

Hey Brenda,
You did a beautiful job on this young mans tribute. I look at him and think he is somebodies little boy. It breaks my heart.
I said a prayer for his family after I read this. Thankyou for sharing that with us....
On a brighter note I hope you had a great 4th.
Ill visit again.... Be Blessed my friend

Barb said...

I so hope Bobby's family somehow finds their way to this moving tribute you did to their son. I almost can't stand to look at his sweet face, it breaks my heart so. This reminds us how real and how dangerous it is over there.

I need to do this. I need to go to the Some Gave All site right away.

xoxoxo

Cheryl said...

Thanks. I have a daughter that didn't make it through Marine Boot Camp due to an injury. She's been home almost two weeks now. I have the utmost respect for those who serve our country. Blessings

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

This is so sad, thank you for honoring the young man in this way. I will never forget those who "gave all".